Youth Activism Programme Manager
Applications to: email@example.com
Annual Salary: R396000
- To manage and provide oversight of the AKF Youth Activism Programme, provide strategic and technical support in implementing the organisations strategic goals and objectives
- To grow the programme through the establishment of community based youth activist clubs – The AKF aims to establish a minimum of 10 such clubs per year over a ten-year period.
- To innovate and create a space for youth activism to grow, and to establish a culture of service and lifelong activism through the programme
- To support, guide and ensure the AKF Youth Programme team is empowered to carry out their duties in building and strengthening the AKF youth activist clubs and their members.
- To engage stakeholders in the civil society sector, government and other stakeholders to increase the programmes reach, visibility and solidarity where necessary.
- To research, engage and comment on various policy, social, political, economic issues that relate to youth development
- To develop a culture of active participation and grow a base of supporters for the programme
- To fundraise and support efforts to mobilise resources for the programme and the various initiatives taken by clubs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Development and implementation of a youth activism development strategy for the AKF;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the programme of establishment of the youth clubs;
- Coordinate the implementation of activism and youth mobilisation dimension of campaigns and programmes initiated and or supported by the AKF;
- To ensure that the youth clubs and their members undergo a programme of political education and training
- To establish the necessary support programmes for the overall well-being of the members of the clubs;
- To mobilise resources for the programme;
- To build the required networks and support systems to ensure the sustainability of the programme.
- To manage the staff (full and part time) of the programme in manner that ensures delivery and personal growth.
- To provide to the Executive Director regular and detailed progress reports.
- Develop proposals for resource mobilisation for the programme.
Skills and knowledge required
- Knowledge of social justice issues, movement building, campaigning and youth activism, a qualification in Education, Politics, and/or social sciences is advantageous
- Self-motivated and driven with a proactive approach to problem solving
- Good administrative, analytical, writing, facilitation and presentation skills
- Experience in education and training methods (Popular education experience is advantageous)
- Good online technical skills
- Ability to lead projects and programmes with good organisational and planning skills
- Ability to write proposals, reports and pay attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and multi task
- Computer skills (word, excel, PowerPoint) and other virtual platforms like zoom, teams etc
- Ability to produce and create content relating to youth and social justice;
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to work with people across diverse backgrounds
- Good awareness of online tools that can support digital advocacy
- Good financial management/literacy skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a team
- Create, maintain and develop effective working relationships with colleagues and external partners
- A valid driver’s licence is advantageous given the need to travel to different communities (in and out of province)
- Keep abreast of all political and social developments relevant to work of the foundation.
- Contribute as a member of the management team of the AKF to overall strategy and Programme of the Foundation.
- Be familiar with the history of the founder of the foundation and SA history in general.
- Represent the Foundation in various public and civil society meetings when requested
This is a full time post, with a 5-day work week. The programme often has engagements and meetings on weekends and/or evenings and therefore times are adjusted in accordance with the schedule of events. The office is based in Lenasia (Johannesburg south) and applicants must be aware that office attendance is regular outside of community engagements.
How to apply:
Please send the following information/documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your subject line should be, “Name and Surname + Youth Programme Manager”
- Cover letter (1 page, no more than 500 words, pdf format)
- Updated Resume/CV
- Email and contact details for 3 references