The Ahmed Kathrada Foundation and Public Affairs Research Institute (PARI) invite you to their upcoming one-day conference:
CIVIL SOCIETY – DEFEATING STATE CAPTURE AND REBUILDING THE STATE: Taking Stock and Moving Forward
Date: Wednesday, 23 October 2019
Time: Registration from 8am to 8.45am. Programmme ends at 6.30pm
The line-up includes:
- Former Constitutional Court Justice, Johann Kriegler – How state capture continues to erode Constitutional democracy
- Former Deputy Minister of Finance, and author of After Dawn – Hope after State Capture, Mcebisi Jonas – The role of civil society in protecting state institutions from capture
- SARS Commissioner Edward Kieswetter on how the Nugent Commission’s recommendations are being implemented
- Deputy Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development, John Jeffery, and SALGA CEO, Xolile George, debating key issues affecting reform of appointment/removal processes in the criminal justice system and local government.
- Journalist Sarah Smit providing an analysis of evidence emerging from the Zondo Commission.
- Integrity Commissioner at the North West Provincial Legislature and former Registrar of Members’ Interest at Parliament, Fazela Mahomed, on what mechanisms civil society can use to hold government accountable.
- Hearing from civil society organisations at the frontlines of tackling state capture, using lawfare, public advocacy and Parliamentary oversight.
Register to attend by clicking here and filling in the form. Alternatively, follow this link: https://pari.org.za/register-civil-society-defeating-state-capture-and-rebuilding-the-state/
(It is essential to RSVP. Confirmation of RSVPs is on a first come first serve basis. Right of admission is reserved. For enquiries contact: 076 243 1185).